14 October 2013

Take It Easy, Pick Up a Book


To me, chilly weather is the perfect weather for a cup of tea and a big stack
of books and magazines.


There's just something about the crisp air and a good story that's so inviting... making it a reasonable excuse for not doing homework helps, too. As always, I have a long list of books to read that grows faster than I can catch up. I currently have 32 books on my "To-Read" list and a growing stack of magazines, too! Being the list-maker that I am, I naturally have narrowed down my Fall Reading to a smaller, more manageable list. Making small goals like this gives me a perfect outside-of-homework activity that I can do between studying or classes and not feel like I'm being neglectful to my studies. Reading is good for you! It's also great motivation to study for however long and reward myself with a chapter... or 5 (it's a problem). If you're looking a for a good study-break read or just a fun book, here's my current narrowed-down list of books to read:

The Devil Wears Prada
Lauren Weisberger
Fun chick-lit that everyone knows or has heard of. I bought the book over the summer and finally have gotten around to reading it. As always, the book is better than the movie: so much more depth and emotion. And the in-book Miranda is much scarier.

Suite Francaise
Irene Nemirovsky
I ran across this book on one of my many hour-long trips to Barnes and Noble. I read the back, carried it around with me all around the store, walked towards the cashier, and realized that I didn't need to buy another book since I'm already reading two. But, the next book I buy will be this book about WWII and Nazi Occupation in Europe.

Outliers
Malcolm Gladwell
The questions brought up in this book are so intriguing.  I love books that make me think. This one considers stereotypes and how where you come from can determine your levels of success... crazy right? It looks like a relatively quick read, but I'm looking forward to it.

None of these books are really... fall-ish. When I think of fall books, for some reason I think of deep, intellectual reading. For some true fall reading, pick up some of the best Russian Literature of all time. Lolita and Anna Karenena are two that are on my reading list. Goldfinch has been getting rated the "Top Fall Reading Book" on Amazon and Goodreads... I don't really know what it's about but I've added it to my list for future enjoyment.

Whatever you're reading, grab a blanket & your favorite warm drink...
Take is Easy



No comments:

Post a Comment