08 May 2013

Confessions of a Neat Freak

Messy surroundings stress me out. 
Flat out- I can't handle them.



I find myself forcing my neat-freak, type-A personality on others and don't appreciate the lack of organization that consumes the lives of most people. I realized this as I was yelling at my sister to clean up her homework spread all over the table, the leftover baking utensils from her after-school snack, and her on-the-side craft. She had so much going on that it had tonrnadoed (yes, I used that as a verb) all over the living area of our house. 

That's the last thing I'd ever want to see as I walk in after a long day of exams.

I came to realize, though, that I can't force my habits on my sister or anyone else. She is who she is: a messy, crazy, free spirit. She does what sounds fun, which is never cleaning. She eats what she wants when she wants, goes for bike rides with friends at 8:30 at night, and is late to school on a regular basis. The lack of organization in any aspect of her life is something that stresses me out; to her, it's just how she is. And after thinking about it, she may be better off.

While I'm busy planning down to the minute to maximize my time, she goes where the wind blows her.
She values social life over work and school, which has provided her with a huge network of friends, something that I can't say I have. I love the life I live, but I struggle to understand that other people don't love order and cleanliness quite so much.

As much as I've always wanted to deny it, I think I might be a freak.
A neat freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment