16 September 2013

Stepping Out of the Zone

If you're anything like me, you like to stay nice and safe in your "zone"

You know what colors you look good in and you wear your favorite jeans day in and day out. You know what kind of books you like and stay in that genre. You do your hair and makeup the same and you like your schedule. And, sometimes I feel as if I take it a step farther- I like the friends I have and I don't mind not making new ones. I don't go out if I don't need to- I'd rather read. 

basically, I'm an old, retired woman stuck in an 18 year old body.

But really, I sometimes very often feel that way. And then I realized that I that I need to take advantage of my youth. I need to step out of my comfort box and into roles that I never expected I'd like. I need to stop over-thinking and jump head in. 



and then I did.

It was terrifying. Terrible. 
I'd never invested so much energy into being a friend, student, or philanthropist until now.
And it's exhausting, but exhilarating. 

I've realized that loving people is so much fun! And classes are so great with friends to study with. 
the best part about being passionate about a cause is being able to share that passion with hundreds or thousands of other students. 
And, at least for me, I didn't know I was lonely until I wasn't anymore.

It's so odd, because I'm such a home-body, but also a thrill seeker. I'm not sure how it fits together, but I love the adrenaline of roller coasters or snorkeling or traveling to new places. And getting out of my comfort zone has given me a way to experience that thrill- to be uncomfortable- in my own back yard. 

And life isn't worth living if it isn't a thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment