10 September 2013

Social or Not?

Since classes have started, I've struggled with this conflict of interests:

to study all the time or let it be and make friends?
Obviously there's got to be balance, but I'm having a hard time finding it. This past weekend I spent Friday night with friends just hanging out and watching movies. But, because of that I felt like I needed to stay in Saturday and study. While everyone went out, I put on my sweats, took out my contacts, and hit the books. Plus side to being a hermit? The hall is silent on Saturday nights- perfect for studying. 

You might think that this sounds balanced- one night out for one night in. But what's wrong is that whenever I'm out, all I can think about is all that needs to get done. I feel like I'm constantly going over my class materials in my head. Making sure I don't forget them and making lists of ways to study and make sure I know my stuff. It's to the point that I almost feel guilty when I'm not studying. I know there's no reason to feel guilty- one can't only sleep and go to class. But I worry that I won't be prepared for the exams and that I'll be mad about going out once it's too late. 

As you can tell, my weekends and inner thoughts are extremely conflicted right now.

Luckily, I've heard that this is the hardest semester of my major- the weeding out process that is so well known at Purdue. And with the competition to get into their Pharmacy program, I can see why they'd want those who aren't committed to change majors. But then there's all the other stuff, like clubs and organizations, that make a student well rounded. So not only am I adjusting to 17 hours of class (plus 3 hours outside of class studying for every hour in class) and the plethora of student organizations that students are urged to join. So much going on... it's almost hard to think that anybody has the energy to go out on weekends! 

Luckily, I'm able to be social between studying or at meal times. In class I get to be surrounded with 250-300 students, all of us under similar work loads. There's a sense of community and friendship in the fact that many of us do, like myself, chose to stay in on the weekends (or even during the week). So there's that- knowing I'm not alone. Also the fact that my parents are sacrificing so much to make sure I'm getting the education I want. It makes staying in and making the grades worth it. Forever.

So that brings me to the question- to be social or not?
I can't be the only one who has this problem. It's a worldwide epidemic- working long hours to "live a nice life" but never having time to live. So for myself and anyone else struggling with this, I'm telling you to balance. Take breaks throughout the day to have a lunch break with friends or go to the gym and see people. Get out, socialize. I think it'll help to focus more while I'm working. Also, being able to tell friends "I was with you guys at lunch so I need to stay in and study tonight" a better excuse/ reason that won't get you as much slack. I'm going to try to balance my studying and socializing more, while also making sure my grades aren't being sacrificed.

It is my future on the line, anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment