28 February 2013

Stepping Out of the Comfort Zone

At the start of the New Year, I told myself that I wanted to try each day to step out of my comfort zone. Whether that be cutting my hair differently or simply talking to a new group of people, I wanted to constantly challenge myself and show myself how strong of a person I am! Like most resolutions, I'm not sure that I ever did it long enough to actually consider it "starting"... it was more of just a fantastic idea that never sunk in. But today, I did something so far out of my comfort zone; I was so incredibly scared, but I ended up having a great time!

today, I formed my backbone.
My school held it's first real debate! Of course, we've done mock debates in classes, but the school has never organized something like this where state Senators, the Superintendent, and the Principal come and listen! It was a monumental first and I'm so fortunate honored to have been a part of the group. The thing is, I'm not really the most assertive or outgoing. I'm the type to relax, have a calm conversation, and agree to disagree. But, I had a blast at the debate and (after I got over my jitters) was totally okay with voicing my opinion and putting my hours of research to good use. While it was not something that I typically would do, the debate put me out of my comfort zone, and I loved it!!

There was something so thrilling about the butterflies in my stomach. I loved the feeling I had when I knew I had an answer or rebuttal to something the opposing side had to say. It was exhilarating in a way, because it was so out of my normal behavior. While I don't plan to become more assertive or outspoken anytime soon, the experience was fantastic and the confidence it instilled in me will have a lasting effect. I told myself once, but I'd like to try it again:

put yourself out there & enjoy the thrill of something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment