20 June 2013

Living in the Now

We all know that I have a habit of planning out my life to the minute.

While one might initially think that this only applies to keeping a calendar or agenda, technology has allowed it to be so much more. Thanks to developers, we now have the ability to create events and have a countdown calculated and kept for us... to the second.


Me being the avid planner that I am, of course I had to have this!! It allowed me to get a visual of how much longer I have to wait for something- good or bad. I used mine to countdown to graduation, vacations, parties, anything. After graduation, I found myself immediately entering in the date in which I plan to move into my dorm, the first day of classes at Purdue, and my birthday! A friend of mine saw me doing this and said something along the lines of "Why are you already wishing your summer away?!"

To that, I had no answer.

Why was I so eager to begin counting down for the next big thing as soon as what I'd been waiting for arrived? I have no idea, but it's a problem. I promptly exited the app and deleted it. I'm proud to say that I have planned less this summer and have not been counting down at all! In fact, for the first time ever, I felt a bit unprepared today... not something I particularly enjoy. Throughout college I'll have to work on striking that balance between micro-planning out my life and being prepared. But wishing away my life is not the way to do it.

I'm a planer. That trait will be engrained in me for as long as live and there's no way to avoid that. 
But there is a way to enjoy life while also having rhythm- 

that's what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment