13 November 2013

Jung Typology: INTJ

I can't tell you how often I've been relying on this simple test these past few months...

My first encounter with the Jung Typology/ Meyers Briggs test was freshman year of high school. Then, I took the test to get my grade in the class and didn't give it a second thought (I'm not kidding- I couldn't tell you what my 4-letter type was then). My next experience was with a career evaluation, where I scored an ISTJ and was matched with Pharmacy... woo! I've taken it twice since then- once a year these past two years- and have scored either an INTJ or ISTJ. But, most recently I was given the "N" in that fluctuating third category.



What does this mean? Well, I've found that it can really mean whatever you make it. Just like a relationship or a volunteer job or a paper, you get out what you put in. And, while I've relied heavily on this test- it did determine my career path- I don't think that it has to determine how a person interacts or behaves in a given setting. Sure, these types of things are important when learning how to work and cooperate with others, especially when the different types can cause interactions to vary so greatly. And that is a fantastic bit of knowledge to have.

On looking into this personality typing, I was able to understand what makes me, me.
..............................................
I always wondered why I didn't have as many friends or why I spent many nights at home with a friend or two. Why didn't I stress the little stuff like so many of my friends? And why do I care so much about my future- more so than anyone else that I know? Well, look no further than the test! It explained why I was so different- and, fun fact, INTJ is the rarest type! Not only was it an explanation, but I've recently been able to apply it to my life and understand how to work with others and make myself seem, well, less lame. 

I've embraced who I've been made to be- my introversion is great for studying! My focus on the big picture is such a stress relief when it comes to exams, and the fact that I like to plan and be in-control has saved me this semester when it comes to time-management and organization. But I learned that I need to be more proactive in meeting people. I need to put myself out there, be vulnerable, and be willing to be out of my comfort zone so that others might stay in theirs. 
..............................................
I may have the most socially awkward personality type, but I'm also the rarest! 
so that means I'm special, right? ;)

But, looking into this, I also came to the realization that this personality type does not have to define me. Yes, it's true that I value my time alone and I am an absolute freak when it comes to having a schedule. But I have times where I just can't not go out. There are times where I worry about every single little detail (ahem.. when I'm getting dressed), and sometimes I forget the logic and do something crazy! And even though that makes me seriously uncomfortable, I've grown so much from putting myself out there. 

And even though my career has been decided based on this test, that doesn't mean that what I do with it necessarily has to be. Because, in the end, we determine how the world sees us-

whether that's where we're most comfortable, 
or most uncomfortable 


No comments:

Post a Comment