04 November 2013

Hometown Pride

I regularly find myself daydreaming of being somewhere else or doing something else...

And I know this isn't good... or healthy. It's to the point that I feel guilty for wishing that I'd grown up somewhere different or that I wasn't "stuck" in the midwest. I'm consciously trying to change this habit- love where I'm from and embrace my surroundings while they're I'm here. Honestly, it's extremely hard since the midwest doesn't always offer that big city excitement that I see in movies or in the lives of others. And my major has me pretty strapped down to my studies without much room for fulfilling "daydreams". I'll be the first to say that this is annoying and unbearable at times, but I'm trying to manage my place and my time to benefit my life in the greatest way possible. 

.................................................



I get most of my ideas and inspiration from other forms of media, so it was only a matter of time before I came across articles of Angela Ahrendts and her time at Burberry. Or, more importantly, the fact that she is from a small town 15 minutes away from my house. From New Palastine, Indiana to London and Burberry, I was inspired more than ever before. She went to college at Ball State and lived her dreams from there. Once I made all the connections and understood her path to "power", something in my settled. 

Contrary to what I'd read and seen everywhere else, I realized that I don't need to be anywhere else or study anything different to get where I want to be. I don't need to move and live in a tiny, expensive apartment. I don't need to dislike where I'm from or where I currently am, because success comes to those who work hard. And while Angela had to work a little harder to prove that her midwestern roots didn't hold her back from big-city lifestyle and fashion, she has surpassed many others who rely on their past to propel them into success. 

After that realization settled, I became incredibly excited. I remember the night well- I hardly slept as thoughts jumbled all around my head. How can I embrace where I'm from and use it to my career advantage? Who should I be networking with right now to ensure that I can reach my own personal equivalent to Angela's success? 

And, how can I get into contact with Angela?
okay, maybe I'm dreaming a little bit...

.............................................

But dreaming is what I'm good at. I've accepted that I like to think big. I embrace lofty goals and let them energize me. I refuse to not take advantage of my opportunities here at Purdue or in the Midwest. And, most importantly, I will not feel as if I'm trapped- because I'm preparing to do great things in this life. Just like Angela, I can be a shining star from my hometown; a big fish in a little pond who goes on to do great things...

that's what I strive for







No comments:

Post a Comment