03 February 2014

Quotes from a Queen

I just finished reading the ever popular Coco Chanel: an Intimate Life, which seemed like it took unnecessarily long for me to finish it.

That's not to say that it wasn't a good read or that it was boring or dry- it was just the opposite! It's a detailed biography of the woman who really changed the face of fashion. I wasn't always in the mindset for that kind of reading. In order to really enjoy the all the research Lisa Chaney had done, I didn't stress about getting it finished by a certain time or rush in any way. If another book looked good to pick up, I'd set this one aside for a little bit. But, I finally finished it and have come away with great insight that I will carry with me.

I could go on and on about how Mademoiselle Chanel changed the world, but you already know that. But there were some absolutely fantastic quotes from the great woman. Many of them are "classic" as far as quotes go, but I love them even more now that I feel like I know Gabrielle Chanel a little bit.



"...the eccentricity should be in the woman, not the dress."

"I prefer disaster to nothingness"

"Changes must not be brutal, must not be made all of a sudden. The eye must be given time to adapt itself to a new thought."

"...fashion, like landscape, is a state of mind..."

"A girl should be two things: who and what she wants"

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself- aloud."

Chanel isn't my most favorite designer brand now... in fact I'm not sure it makes my top 5. The style and image has just changed so much. But I will always love the classic Chanel and will probably be the woman who wears Chanel No 5. What can I say?

The woman is an inspiration



No comments:

Post a Comment