29 December 2013

Wedding Season

As "engagement season" approaches...


As a girl, I feel that it's only natural to fantasize about that day: the perfect dress, hair, makeup and the perfect man at the end of the aisle. I used to hate weddings. They were boring, the food was alright, and I never knew an of the adults. But, now it's my friends and cousins getting married. The weddings have become significantly more fun, and scary. 

It's scary how fast life moves. For some of the friends' weddings I've been to, I can remember meeting them at camp or school. I can remember that day, I can remember vacations we went on and the childhood innocence we built our friendship on. And now, all of a sudden, we somehow are old enough to get married (okay, I am not planning to get married anytime soon. I have many older friends and cousins), move away, do adult stuff! None of my good friends that I graduated with have taken this step, but a few have been talking about it and it's seriously so crazy. The fact that I'm not even close to being in a relationship that could end in marriage, and haven't been in a while, makes me feel so weird that some of my friends have found the people they want to spend the rest of their lives with. Insane. Totally, completely insane. 

But, the good thing about my lack of haste in the wedding department is that I've been able to go to weddings, enjoy them, and make observations. Pinterest can only take you so far when it comes to wedding planning... the best way to tell is to be there and see what works. There's only one chance to make this day reach your extremely high expectations, so nothing should be left to chance... at least in my "over-plan everything in life" opinion. I've had the opportunities- and I'm sure I will continue to have them- to see what I like, what I'd do differently, and what I'd take out completely. Number one: definitely a spring or summer wedding. It's so tough to dress for a wedding without looking like you're going to a funeral in the fall or winter. Number two: there will be great music and everyone will be dancing. Because, what's a wedding without a fantastic reception? 

If I had any more plans, I may be considered crazy.
Plus, not everything can or should go as planned, and that's when you hope to God you've built up enough good karma to make it through! 



No comments:

Post a Comment