07 March 2014

Keeping Up My Resolution: Being Positive


Life has been tossing me around a little bit lately... actually a lot bit. From getting my first outright F on an exam to not getting the leadership position that I really wanted and everything in between. Regardless, I've been trying to take life's hints and figure out just what it is that I'm supposed to be doing these six years at Purdue. Staying positive and almost asking life to show me how else it can screw up my plans has been what I've resorted to. 

When it comes to academics, this semester- or just Organic Chemistry- is kicking my butt. This has been the first class where the information is 100% new to me, and it has been quite the adjustment. I failed the first exam, re-evaluated my study habits, and have been improving ever since. Which is a good thing. But this class is just going to haunt me for the entire semester... and the next. 

The biggest "loop" I was thrown for was the Freshman Orientation Leader results- I thought I did great at the interview, had a great time, and was passionate about getting the position. But I didn't. I swore I would cry if I didn't get it. I didn't shed a tear. I looked at the bright side- an extra week of summer and I get to see One Direction in concert that week. And, this opens up my schedule to get more involved in PUDM (where I did get a position on the Merchandise Committee- yay!!) and *fingers crossed* a sorority! 

I've found that this resolution to add something to my life has been so successful already. I try to embody happiness and positivity, and even though life isn't exactly leading me the way I'd like to be led, I'm still growing. I'm moving forward, even if it's in a different direction than I'd imagined. And I've learned that it's okay. Yes, being disappointed for a bit is okay. But there's a point where I need to take a deep breath and remember that I am great. That a single position, test grade, or (heaven forbid) boy doesn't define who I am or who I am going to be. 

I'm going to adjust my sails, like the picture says, and take advantage of the way God is moving my life right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment