02 October 2014

Study Breaks to Keep You Focused

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time focusing when it comes to studying. My attention can only be kept for so long before I just have to take a break. Luckily, it's been scientifically proven than studying for 30-50 minute sessions with breaks in between is actually better than grueling 4-hour long stints.

But, I've also found that if I check my phone or a social network my 10 minute breaks turn into 15.. then 20... then I talk myself out of going back to the books. My studying styles are constantly evolving, but I think I've mastered a few study break activities that both give me a much needed break and keep me focused on the task at hand.

1. Yoga
There are so many great yoga videos that range anywhere from 15 minutes to 45. There are times were I just need to absolutely clear my head and relax, which yoga is perfect for. What's even better is that I'm almost always studying in comfy workout clothes, so there's no excuse not to spend a few minutes going through some flow.

2. Read
Reading is so hard to fit in at school. I spend so much time staring at words all day that, even if I love a book, all I really want to do is watch something mindless at the end of the day. But for some reason while I'm studying, I'm all about taking a break to read. A lot of times I'll read an article in Vogue or a chapter of a book- something that keeps my mind engaged but is completely unrelated to what I'm currently studying.

3. Call Someone
I'm so bad about keeping in touch with people who aren't here at Purdue with me. One of the best ways to take a break is to call someone you've been meaning to talk to. Obviously, this is something that may call for an extended break. But it's so nice to be able to vent about life while hearing about what's going on outside of your little college bubble.

I know midterms are coming up for many people, so I wanted to give a few study break tips to try. These work so well for me and give me a nice little refresh during stressful days.

No comments:

Post a Comment