16 April 2013

Quick to Anger

After the happenings in Boston yesterday, I began thinking about how angry and violent our world is. It seemed that people would get made over the silliest things: wrong food at a restaurant, a bad evaluation, or that something "isn't fair". As I thought through these ideas, I was calmed by the fact that I'm very laid back and slow to anger. I go with the flow, I don't let little things upset me, and, when given the wrong food, it just means I get to try something new! I was proud of myself for being such a "half glass full" person.

Then it hit me. I was driving home today and got caught behind a car that didn't take any chances while pulling out onto the street. And, by that I mean they let probably no fewer than 8 perfectly sane openings in traffic pass before they FINALLY pulled out!!!!! Wow! Not only am I lying to myself, but I'm pathetic to think that others are lower than myself for their anger and hostility. I experienced a classic "take the stick out of your own eye before examining the speck in another's" epiphany. After my bought of road rage and frustration passed, I felt foolish. I realized just how quickly emotions can take over, and how selfish those emotions are for everyone, including myself.
-Ghandi 

That event, plus some others of the night, helped me realize how radically my view of life and the world needs to change. Life is a beautiful time that has been granted to us. Who am I to think that I deserve this or that? I have no entitlement. What I have is a beautiful mind. A mind that can function and can carry me to worlds I'd previously only dreamed of; what am I doing wasting that on anger and frustration? What is the WORLD doing wasting that on violence and inflicting pain? I don't know, but all I can do is change me.

So, that's what I'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment